Newcastle Cosmology Group

Professor Ian Moss (Group Leader)

My research focuses on the inflationary model of the very early universe, and the various quantum processes responsible for the origin of density fluctuations and other major features of the universe. The inflationary model has become the predominant model of the early universe as, one by one, all of its predictions have been confirmed by observation. 

Dr Gerasimos Rigopoulos (Lecturer)

I work on both Early Universe Cosmology (Inflation, quantum theory of inflationary perturbations and its stochastic formulation, quantum fields and implications for quantum gravity) and Late Universe Cosmology (Effective theories of cosmological perturbations, semi-analytic methods for the non-linear regime of structure formation).

Dr Paul McFadden (Ernest Rutherford Fellow)

My research interests include theoretical cosmology, holographic dualities, conformal field theory and general relativity.

Dr Danielle Leonard (Lecturer)

I am interested in testing and constraining extensions to the standard cosmological model, especially alternative theories of gravity and dynamical dark energy. To do this, I use observables which are sensitive to the growth of large-scale structure, in particular weak gravitational lensing and galaxy clustering.

Dr Cora Uhlemann (Lecturer)

I am a theoretical cosmologist working on modelling the cosmic large-scale structure in the nonlinear regime and using it to probe fundamental physics and cosmology. My research focuses on solving the gravitational dynamics of dark matter and developing galaxy clustering statistics.

Dr Joachim Harnois-Deraps (Ernest Rutherford Fellow)

I combine simulations and observations of galaxy surveys to measure cosmological parameters. I am the PI of the Scinet LIght-Cone Simulation suites (SLICS), a public series of over 1000 N-body runs ideally suited to estimate the uncertainty about cosmological measurement, including cosmic shear, galaxy-galaxy lensing, galaxy clustering and redshift space distortions — the SLICS were central to 30 journal papers to date. I am now leading the core numerical simulation programme in many international weak lensing collaborations (KiDS, LSST and Euclid). You can find a list of my publications here.

Dr Gary (I-Kang) Liu (Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellow)

I have been working on the non-equilibrium dynamics and fundamental properties of ultracold Bose gases for a number of experiment-relevant systems via large simulations. Now I turn my attention to the halo and structure formations of fuzzy dark matter for the Schrodinger-Poisson system.

Alex Soto (PostDoc)

I have worked on Cosmology, Inflation and features in the power spectrum and bispectrum. In addition I have worked in modifications of QFT as Lorentz violating models and PT-symmetric theories. Currently I am interested in the study of Dark Matter as a Bose Einstein condensate

Kate Brown (PhD student)

I’m predominantly interested in phase transitions in quantum systems. I’m currently using an analogue cold atom system to model the electroweak phase transition. I’m interested in how bubbles of true vacuum formed, evolved and interacted in the early universe.

Francesca Caloro (PhD student)

I am currently doing my PhD in momentum-space conformal field theories and holographic cosmology. In general, I am interested in symmetries and their breaking. My background is in effective field theories for low-energy QCD.

Alex Gough (PhD student)

My PhD focusses on theoretical techniques in large-scale-structure formation. I work on both the gravitational dynamics side (including using ideas from quantum mechanics to model dark matter) and on how to translate these ideas into useful statistics that can be used by observers.

Milos Indijn (PhD student)

My research involves numerically modelling and simulating the evolution of ultralight scalar field dark matter, or fuzzy dark matter (FDM), by taking approaches from quantum fluids and interfacing them with cosmology. Currently I am focusing on the dynamics of gravitationally bound FDM structures on galactic scales.

Nikolina (Niko) Šarčević (PhD student)

My research focuses on modelling and mitigating the intrinsic alignment of galaxies in weak lensing measurements. I am also interested in non-linear scale effects within cosmological modified gravity models and the statistical problems for late-time cosmology. My other interests include outreach, publishing and innovations in organizing academic conferences (like Cosmology from Home). I love spicy food, coffee, rodents and shopping. For more information you can check my website or follow me on Twitter.

Ashley Wilkins (PhD student)

I am currently looking at how the Non-Perturbative Renormalisation Group can be applied to stochastic processes. This has implications for both molecular simulations of mesoscale physics and for stochastic inflation in the early universe.