We often get queries about whether it’s possible to amend or delete questions from a test in Blackboard when the test has already taken place. The answer is yes – and if the test uses question types that have automatic grading Blackboard will automatically regrade the test to reflect the changes you make.
That said, there is a bug in Blackboard which on rare occasions can cause problems with students’ test attempts when you amend or delete a question. To help safeguard against this we recommend that you take the steps below before you make any changes to a test after it has taken place.
Close the test and make sure that there are no attempts in progress
Ensure that the test is no longer available to students, so that there is no danger that they might be taking the test when you make the change. To check this:
- Go to the Content Area where the test is deployed in the module, and hover over the name of the test. Click on the dropdown arrow that appears, and select Edit test options:
- EITHER under Test Availability make sure that for Make the link available the No option is selected:
- OR/AND scroll down to the Display Until date, and make sure this is set to a date and time in the past (this can be 5 minutes from the current time):
- Scroll to the bottom of the test options screen and click Submit to save any changes you have made.
- Open the Grade Centre by clicking on Control Panel > Grade Centre > Full Grade Centre.
- Find the column for the test, and scroll down to check whether there are any attempts in progress, shown with the ‘Attempt in progress’ icon of a blue clock:
- If there are any attempts in progress submit them on behalf of the student if appropriate. See ‘Attempt in progress’ grade centre icon for an explanation and instructions .
Export grade centre
- In the module, open the Full Grade Centre. In menu bar at the top of the screen you’ll see the option Work Offline on the right hand side. Click the down arrow and select Download:
- In the Download Grades screen leave the default options selected, and click Submit.
- On the next screen click the Download button and save the file to an appropriate location (e.g. your H: drive or shared file space for your school).
Download test results
- In the Grade Centre find the column for the test, and click the dropdown arrow to the right of the column name. Select Download Results from the menu:
- In the Download Results screen leave the default options selected. Click the button to download results, and again save to an appropriate location.
Note: both of these actions produce a .csv file, which you can open and amend in Excel as required.
Amend or delete a test question and regrade attempts
Once you have completed the steps above you can go ahead and make the required changes to the test.
- Open the test canvas. You can do this via the Control Panel > Tests, Surveys and Pools > Tests, then hover over the name of the exam and click the dropdown arrow. Select the Edit Test option.
- Scroll to the question that you need to amend or delete, and hover over the title. Click the dropdown arrow that appears:
- To amend a question select Edit from the dropdown menu. Make the required changes. Click Submit and Update Attempts. Blackboard will display a warning message; click OK, and the test will automatically be regraded:
- To delete a question select Delete and Regrade from the dropdown menu. Blackboard will display a warning message. Click OK, and the test will automatically be regraded:
- Once you have amended or deleted all of the required questions, check the Grade Centre column for the test to ensure that the attempts have been automatically graded as expected.