We are always looking for contributors for our blog! This is a great opportunity to develop your writing skills in a style which you may not be familiar with.
Take a look at the various NU Women blog series and decide which one you would like to contribute to. We have recently launched Going Global for 2018 and are interested in a range of contributors to build the blog. You are also welcome to propose an entry on any gender/career-related topic of your choice!
Please contact email@example.com for more information. We are willing to discuss any ideas, proofread any draft material, help you set deadlines and even provide a drop in session if you want to come and talk things through face-to-face or Shut Up and Write!
Below are some tips for first time bloggers:
- Start with an idea – you should have an idea/experience you want to relay to the audience, and this should drive your writing.
- Set yourself targets – it really shouldn’t take that long to write a blog entry if you already have an idea, as blogs don’t have to be long (somewhere between 300-600 words is a good length for a blog post) – you want to keep people engaged!
- Be informal – blogging can bring out your own style and you can have fun with it!
- Avoid lengthy paragraphs and sentences – keep it broken up so that it is easy to read. If it looks too long people probably won’t start reading at all. You could also try and create a list e.g. ‘The top 5 tools and methods from the workshop’ so that people can glance over it and get the information easily.
- Visuals – if it’s a review, you could operate a stars out of 5 system for a simple visual overall evaluation of the event. Similarly, if you have any supporting pictures to include that would really improve the blog visually.
- Help available – there are loads of great blogging tips materials online, such as:
- Have a go! – just try it out and see where you get! If you need any additional help, we’re here.