an international undergraduate philosophy journal
CALL FOR PAPERS
Stance seeks original philosophical papers authored by current undergraduates.
Stance welcomes papers concerning any philosophical topic. Current undergraduates may submit a paper between 1500 and 3500 words in length (footnotes may extend the word limit 500 words at most). Stance asks that each undergraduate only submit one paper for the journal per year. Papers should avoid unnecessary technicality and strive to be accessible to the widest possible audience without sacrificing clarity or rigor. They are evaluated on the following criteria: depth of inquiry, quality of research/academic rigor, creativity, lucidity, struggle, significance, and, most importantly, originality.
This year, Stance is utilizing a new system to better manage paper submissions and correspondence with authors. As such, we have updated our submission procedures. Please refer to the instructions below when submitting your paper:
1. Go to https://openjournals.bsu.edu/stance
2. If you have not previously set up an account with the OJS system, click on “Register” in the upper right hand corner. Otherwise proceed to step 4.
3. Follow the steps to register an account
a. Input the information you would like associated with your account
b. Verify your account through the email link
c. Return to https://openjournals.bsu.edu/stance to complete the submission process
4. Click on “Make a Submission” in the upper right-hand corner
5. Click on “Make a New Submission” in the box above “Submission Preparation Checklist”
6. Verify that your submission meets the submission requirements listed. If it does, check all corresponding boxes.
7. Click “Save and Continue”
8. Select “Article Text” from the dropdown menu under “Article Component”
9. Upload your submission as a Word document
10. Review the file information and click continue
11. Click complete to finish the upload
12. Click Save and continue
13. For meta-data, enter the title in the following format: “FirstInitialLastname_Submission” (ex. RSmith_Submission)
14. For the abstract, enter your first and last name, the title of your submission, the name of your institution and an email address you can be easily reached at.
15. Click “Save and Continue”
16. Click “Finish Submission”
17. Click “Ok”
Please be sure to double check your paper before submitting. Once you finalize your submission, you will not be able to go back and edit it. Please keep the following in mind:
• Manuscripts should be in Microsoft Word (.doc) format and should not be submitted in .pdf format.
• Manuscripts should be double-spaced (including quotations, excerpts, and footnotes). The right margin should not be justified.
• Papers, including footnotes, should have no identifying markers. Footnotes should follow Chicago Manual of Style. A style sheet with examples is available on our website under “More about Stance – Information for Authors.” • Please use American spellings and punctuation, except when directly quoting a source that has followed British style.
For further concerns, please visit Stance on the web at http://stancephilosophy.com/ or contact us at email@example.com. You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter @stance_journal and on facebook at bsustance.
Deadline: December 17, 2021