My passion for Environmental Engineering

Takudzwa Chipamaunga, a postgraduate student studing an MSc in Environmental Engineering, writes about her passion for the subject and what she hopes to achieve from her postgraduate degree

ceg_pgt_profile_enveng_takudzwa_680x402

After doing an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, I wanted to choose a Postgraduate course that directly specialised in matters that would help to protect the environment. I want a career that would have a global impact on our future and the future of the planet by making it a mission to think and act through respecting and protecting the environment; for this reason, I thought environmental engineering would be the best route. This interest was further fuelled by a voluntary project I took part in Nepal with other volunteers as part of the Post Disaster Relief building work following the two devastating earthquakes the country experienced in 2015.

Building airbag earthquake proof homes and schools for the local people in Nepal gave me a whole new perspective on life. It felt good to contribute in activities that helped to restore hope where it was lost for the locals, and it was then when I realised that if I could make such impact on a small scale, how great would be to continuously do it but on a larger scale. As an environmental engineer, I know I will be able to overcome and help prevent the negative effects natural disasters have on society and the environment, like the situation in Nepal. Upon completion of my degree, I do hope to gain a greater understanding in ways to enhance the quality of life on the planet which will help make life better for people around the world.