Nadia Karim on Newcastle University’s Summer School

Spending a week at Newcastle University’s Partners’ summer school, gave me a helpful insight into university life before starting the course in September. We were introduced to the style of lectures and seminars, as well as being taught how to reference and cite sources, which became extremely helpful when writing my in-course assessment during my first year.

The summer school gave me an opportunity to make friends with many of the people on my course and explore the campus and the city; allowing us to find our favourite places around Newcastle. This made the transition to university easier, as we were surrounded by familiar faces and places. Participating in Partners’ scheme confirmed that Newcastle University was the uni for me. Once I completed and passed the summer school, it helped to ease the pressure of A Level results day.

Now, I am a first year dental student and have become best friends with many of the people I met at the summer school. The experience of summer school meant that I was more relaxed and confident at the start of uni, since I already knew my way around the dental school and the expectations of the course.

Partners
• Gave insight into uni life
• The style of lectures and seminars
• Chance to meet people on the course
• Make friends
• Made the transition to uni easier
• Easier seeing a familiar face on the first day
• Completed the Partners’ Summer School essay – very helpful opportunity, helped us with referencing and citations – something I had not previously been taught
• Explored campus and the city

I am thoroughly enjoying my first year as a dental student. As the course is relatively small, it means that it is a close-knit community, across all five years of students. The peer-mentoring scheme means that first year students always have an ‘older’ student to turn to for advice and guidance if they have any issues or questions about exams, assessments and general uni life.

The course is extremely interesting and I have found myself being introduced to many new areas of study, including learning through practical anatomy sessions; undoubtedly my favourite part of first year. I hope to continue to enjoy the course and its challenges!

Nadia Karim, Stage 1 BDS