About this blog

My research deals with representations of non-normative, queer sexualities in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, particularly the relationship between sexuality, site, memory, history, and temporality and how these are explored and expressed through the visual arts. I am particularly interested in where, why and how queer sexual cultures and interstitial spaces intersect and in the activist imperatives behind queer art making. On my blog, I post an image a day, relating to whatever I’m writing about the time.

At the moment, I am completing a book based on my doctoral thesis on the art and cruising scenes on New York’s derelict waterfront in the years immediately preceding the HIV/AIDS epidemic, looking most closely at the work of David Wojnarowicz and Peter Hujar. I am also working on a new project on how contemporary artists work with AIDS activist imagery and literature from the 1980s and 1990s, and another on the spaces of HIV/AIDS activism, looking at how artists engaged with sites such as hospitals, churches, bookshops, municipal buildings, and ‘public’ urban spaces like parks and sidewalks. I am interested in contemporary queer theory, particularly queer theories of temporality and nostalgia.