Day 4/5 – The Marie Celeste – 54 deg 45.3 S, 47 deg 47.7 W

First of all a hang over from the last blog entry on orange onesies. In case you wanted a laugh over your coffee here is a video I volunteered to take of Clare putting on the survival suit. Holding the camera opted me out of making a fool of myself. One size truly does fit all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMnjzLyTBIU&feature=youtu.be

So I’m slowly equilibrating myself to the night watch. As watch leader I’ll ultimately have responsibility of making sure the work is done to schedule (crushing responsibility at £2000 an hour cruise and ROV time (ROV = remotely operated vehicle…pronounced as a word to those in the know rather than a series of letters…get used to the acronym it will appear a lot in the future))…but until work really begins the 22:00-04:00 watch is a lonely place, four stalwart scientists wondering empty halls (hence the Marie Celeste),  thermo mugs in hand trying to convince the mind that it can be productive at ridiculous o’clock. Sporadic entertainment is to be had when the ship crew change watch at midnight but that doesn’t last long. Broadly speaking we’ve attempted to make Dolly Parton turn in her as yet undug grave as we “sleep 9 to 5….what a way to make a living”, except this is a ship so its 09:00 to 17:00 which makes the rhyming even worse.

What is the point of a port hole cabin when you have to dog it (put the metal flap down and bolt it) to stop the light?

But I digress. So it is breakfast for tea, tea for breakfast and microwave reheated lunch. You think that is confusing try having a conversation about what happened yesterday. Time is apparently relative, only it’s relative to when you slept and someone’s yesterday is usually the night watch’s today. Does that mean they are from the future? Really shouldn’t write blogs this early …I witter (now I know where my son gets it from).

Another few random events…ice update…southern sites still covered but clearing slowly so there is hope!

Currently wishing we had an ice breaker...where is global warming when you need it. Warning positions and routes for illustration purposes. Not to be used for navigation.

For once, the first thing to go over the side was not someone’s lunch (weather has been good) but 3km of ROV umbilical cable. Add one weight, deposit over the end and stream behind the vessel. The purpose is to take any twists out of the cable that develop through use. Too many twists break the important wires inside the cable.

Also a few life patterns are developing. Most of the night watch heads to the gym at 04:00 for an hour or so. Part a drive to keep the metabolism going until after breakfast (our Tea) part effort to fight the potential 7 courses of food in a day when the furthest you can move is a little less than 100m.

Finally I just want to round up with an apology to friends and family. This time the web addresses will be correct! For everyone reading this if you fancy another perspective may I direct you to other bloggers on the cruise.

https://elgg.leeds.ac.uk/geocwo/weblog/

http://picturingthe deep.blogspot.co.uk/

Oh and if you have questions or photo requests you can post them here too or e-mail me!

Chris