Adding a plant-based twist to this much-loved classic, we’re sharing our tasty recipe for our Vegan Victoria Sponge cake.
Gluten-free, dairy-free and completely delicious, why not try making this wonderful recipe at home in just 50 minutes and you could share it with up to 12 of your friends?
For the cake:
- 300g dairy-free margarine (plus extra for greasing)
- 300g gluten-free plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- 200g organic soya yoghurt
- 2 lemons (zest only)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Rice milk (optional)
For the filling
- 200g icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 100g dairy-free margarine
- 100g fresh raspberries
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Then grease two springform cake tins (roughly 20cm) with the margarine, and line the bottom with greaseproof paper – dusting the sides with gluten-free flour.
- In a bowl, beat the margarine and sugar for around 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Halve the vanilla pods lengthways then, using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the margarine mixture, along with the yoghurt and lemon zest, then mix until combined.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into the bowl, then fold through. If it’s a little thick, add a splash of rice milk and stir briefly until you have a nice, smooth batter.
- Carefully divide the mixture between the cake tins, then place on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, before turning the cakes out onto a wire cooling rack. Then leave to cool completely while you make the icing.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl, then add the margarine and beat until smooth. If it’s a little thick, add a splash of milk to loosen.
- Once cooled, place one of the sponges on a plate or cake stand. Carefully spread the butter icing on top and scatter over most of the raspberries. Spread the jam onto the second sponge and place jam side down, on top of the iced sponge, pressing down slightly.
- Dust the top with a little icing sugar and decorate with a few raspberries, if you like, then serve!