About Me

Dr Robert Dale
Lecturer in Russian History

Profile picture

am a historian of twentieth-century Russian and Soviet history, with a particular interest in the late Stalinist period (1945-1953).  I re-joined Newcastle University and the School of History, Classics and Archaeology in September 2015, having previously taught Russian history at Newcastle in 2010-11.

I am particularly interested in the impact of war and violence upon Russian/Soviet society, the impact of the Great Patriotic War on the Soviet Union, the demobilisation and post-war adjustment of Red Army veterans, the history of St. Petersburg / Petrograd / Leningrad and the Late Stalinist period.

• Email: robert.dale@ncl.ac.uk
  • Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7853
  • Address: School of History, Classics and Archaeology,
    Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences,
    Armstrong Building,
    Newcastle University
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE1 7RU
    United Kingdom

In this blog I’m going to posting about my research activity on my current project “From Fractured Society to Stability: Overcoming the Aftermath of the Great Patriotic War”  which explores the complicated process of post-war reconstruction and recover in Soviet Russia after 1945.

I’ll also be using this blog as a platform for posting about and reflecting on some of my impact related activity, related to this project, and my on-going work on the demobilization and post-war readjustment of veterans.

.