OER13

cc-by cake courtesy Fannie Hadoerk, Photo Suzanne Hardy. CC-BY

I spent the past two days at the OER13 conference in Nottingham. I had a stimulating and busy couple of days, preparing a 20 minute presentation on joining up some technologies and workflows developed here as part of the funded projects under the now finished 3 year UKOER programme, funded via Jisc and the HEA. There were 48 mini chocolate cakes iced with ‘cc-by’ to give away as part of our cookbook themed talk (I presented along with my colleague James Outterside).

Additionally I was asked to facilitate a 45 minute discussion session on OER Experience. No mean feat when you are in a massive lecture theatre with people sitting in ones and two all over the place…. the conversation didn’t stop, and we had a lot of notes with some fascinating observations captured by Megan, which I blogged at the conference blog. Oh I was a conference blogger too.

All the cakes went. The presentation was exactly 20 minutes long. You can see our slides (with a LOT of links at the end) at the OER13 website.

I suspect there will be a lot of work in organising and taking part in the OER14 conference, since the co-chairs are Megan Quentin-Baxter and Simon Thomson (Leeds Met). I hope I can be involved and am already looking forward to next year’s event. Wherever it ends up being staged.

Now back to ePorfolios, online assessment and feedback (OLAF), research data management (iridium) and helping out a bit with some work around open access.

OER/open practice/openness/transparency never goes way, it just gets called different things…..