Introduction: About this blog

Before I left Canada in 2013, I wrote a blog called ‘Health as if Everybody Counted‘ for a provincially funded network called the Population Health Improvement Research Network.  The title was inspired by the motto of Michael Connelly’s frequently insubordinate fictional homicide detective Harry Bosch: ‘Everybody counts or nobody counts’.  Now, I share Bosch’s insubordinate tendencies, but more importantly the egalitarianism of that credo seemed to me appropriate for a blog that focused on advances and setbacks in reducing health inequity.  It occurs to me that the time is right to resurrect that blog as a vehicle for commentary on these same issues five years on, and a way of alerting interested people to new and exciting (or alarming) research findings and policy initiatives.  I hope it’s of interest.  If you would like to be notified when new postings appear, please let me know: theodore.schrecker@newcastle.ac.uk.

All views expressed here are mine alone or those of authors cited or quoted, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer, Newcastle University.

Readers of this blog are likely also to be interested in a similar but more internationally oriented blog, Policies for Equitable Action to Health, which is run by Italian Member of the European Parliament Daniele Dionisio and sometimes kindly reposts my materials.

This work is licenced under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-Noderivatives 4.0 International licence.  Reproduction with appropriate credit is encouraged.