Director’s update Spring 2016

steve (2)We have just announced the third round of calls for applications to the ERDP Small Grants scheme.  In the first two rounds we have been pleased to receive many interesting and thoughtful proposals.  Can I encourage you all to consider applying?  One area where we have yet to see many applications is for people wishing to make study visits to other Universities.  We feel very strongly that such visits can be enormously beneficial to the staff making such a visit and can be a valuable source of new ideas.  We will consider any well-made case so if you have an idea for a visit then please think about applying to the scheme for support to carry it out.

Our seminar programme for the year is about halfway through and we have had some interesting and stimulating speakers so far with more yet to come.  I am now putting together next year’s programme.  I have had some suggestions for speakers but would be delighted to receive your suggestions for people you would like to invite.

The EQUATE programme is well-advanced and projects are taking shape and plans for publication are advancing.  As our writing retreat approaches I am looking forward to seeing the results of the various projects being undertaken and to looking at the papers as they take shape.

I hope you enjoy the newsletter.  There’s a lot of innovative project work and good news to read about.  If you have articles for the next issue due in June just send them through to  fms.educational.research@newcastle.ac.uk.