Adonia Hirst

My work explores communication, intimacy and movement. It proposes new ways in which we can experience softness and volume with our human bodies. The tactility of my art aims to distort the viewer’s perception of touch and interaction, creating a juxtaposition of emotions that is unsettling yet humorous.

Considering the qualities and uses textiles provide in our daily lives. I am interested in discovering how it can invoke a personal and intimate space for connection, contradicting the technology-induced physical disconnect prevalent in society today. 

By reclaiming and expanding overlooked textiles techniques, I distort and highlight issues surrounding craft. The use of knitting and fabric in my practice also reflects a personal relationship I have with the material. I use discarded fabric given to me by my mother, who is a curtain maker, and the process I use combines skills I have learnt from female members of my family. 

I invite my close friends to interact with my work, documenting the results, through video, photography and performance; exploring the relationship between textiles and contemporary art. 

Disjointed