Induction week

So sad to be saying goodbye to our MSc Conservation and Ecosystem Management students – it has been a year! And also very excited to say hello to our new cohort. I hope they had a good week. Highlights for me was the talks from our current students, particularly Nico’s on Terns, then the zoom call (which I was ridiculously anxious about – but thoroughly enjoyed thanks to the speakers below). And today we went to one of my (many) favourite places in Northumberland, Hauxley – run by the Wildlife Trust – to watch the birds and walk along the beach looking for fossils and crabs!

… and anyway – we’re not saying goodbye, but hasta luego and bis später and until next time

The photo of the first pine martin captured on camera from Kielder Forest (shown on Tom’s slide above) comes from my good friend John Hartshorne. We were very excited the day he Whatsapped that to us!

Thanks to our external speakers, Marjorie Davey (Natural England); Nick Sotherton (Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust); Tom Dearnley (Forestry England) and James Common (Natural History Society of Northumberland) for sharing how students can get involved with volunteering or with dissertations. Also NOV from Gateshead who sent through a slide show

The reflections in the hooked back windows are pretty cool – just spotted them!
Always take a picture here. Seems to be a tradition