Apply to be a representative on the staff-student committee

Dear Students of Philosophical Studies,

Welcome back to lectures! I hope everyone had an enjoyable summer and have returned to University excited to continue their studies. My name is Tom Stables, and I am the chair of the Staff-Student Committee for Philosophical Studies.
The SSC serves an important purpose in promoting student feedback and interaction with the degree course and module structure by providing a link between lecturers and students. Over the course of the year we will have meetings between myself, representatives from each stage of the degree programme, and the staff, providing a forum for suggestions, advice and feedback from both sides. Last year, for example, the course reps and I were able to take a lead role in facilitating the new common room that we are now able to enjoy – we really are able to make a difference in the University.

To this end, we need volunteer course representatives from Stage 1 to join the committee, and a Course Secretary to assist in the organisation of meetings and changes. These positions are open to anyone, including students of combined honours, and require you to act as a voice for the views of your fellows, allowing you to gain valuable conference and debating skills, along with university run training to equip you as an effective member of the committee.

If anyone is interested in taking up these positions, please feel free to contact me (t.stables@ncl.ac.uk) or Dr Rose, explaining why you would be an effective candidate for the role.

Tom Stables t.stables@ncl.ac.uk

One thought on “Apply to be a representative on the staff-student committee

1. Becoming a representative is often a good way to demonstrate certain skills to would be employers. It is very often used as a basis for questions at job interviews when listed on a CV and can be used to your advantage.