A fond farewell…

Exactly 11 months ago today, I started work as the Environmental Co-ordinator Support Officer in Newcastle University’s Sustainability Team. My role was to support the network of over 70 Environmental Co-ordinators (ECs) in meeting sustainability objectives, in accordance with our Environmental Management System (EMS), EcoCampus.

Throughout my employment, I have had the opportunity to work with a variety of staff and students, on a variety of sustainability issues, ranging from recycling and waste, to energy efficiency, to biodiversity. The one part of my role that provided the most enjoyable experiences is the communications – actively engaging staff, students, University stakeholders and the wider community in how Newcastle University is reducing the impact its operations has on the environment. Through pioneering campaigns, community outreach and targeted marketing, the last year has seen the profile of the work undertaken by the team and the ECs increase, and awareness of environmental sustainability issues, campus facilities and local achievements has risen.

I leave today a better person for spending my time in this role. I have learnt so much; from energy management, to waste legislation, to communication skills. I go away with a wealth of experience in project management, targeted communications and technical aspects of environmental sustainability issues and solutions.

Of course, my job would not have anywhere near as exciting were it not for my fabulous colleagues. Their continued support on new ideas, kindness on hard days, and wonderful personalities have made Newcastle University a lovely place to work. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Estate Support Service, and have made some excellent friends. I am proud to have worked alongside my team mates, and feel greatly appreciative of all they have taught me. I will miss them all and my days certainly will not be the same without them.

Today is my last day, and I have been treated like a queen – my lovely work colleagues have showered me with gifts (posh chocolate – they know me so well!) and my superb student intern, Siobhan, gave me an amazing bouquet of flowers. I am so lucky to have had such a cracking bunch of people to work with.

So a final thankyou to everyone at Newcastle University – I have truly loved my time here and am very sad to be leaving. I wish everyone in the Estate Support Service and all the ECs, the best of luck going forward – remember; be sustainable!