ARTHUR AND EDMOND: WILL THE THEATRE BREAK THEIR BOND?

Becky, Luke, Elli, Kelly, Sophia

A cosy tavern on the North bank of the river Thames. Bestfriends Edmond and Arthur are having a tankard of ale. 

Edmond Theakston: Hallo Arthur my man, you’re looking particularly fine today, Martha can’t make the theatre this afternoon and I was wondering if you would accompany me. 

Arthur Murray: Is this a joke? 

Edmond Theakston: No, I thought it would be a really nice Wednesday afternoon activity for us to do together! 

Arthur Murray: Our theatres and playhouses in London are as full of adultery as they were in Rome. I would rather eat a rat than attend that devil’s playhouse Edmond.

Edmond Theakston: Oh Arthur, surely what can sooner print the modesty in the souls of the wanton than by discovering unto them the monstrousness of their sin? 

Arthur Murray: Stage plays are the doctrine and invention of the devil!!! I will not be persuaded otherwise. You can not be taught morals through the words of the devil. 

Edmond Theakston: Cannot morals be taught through history plays of courage and shame? So bewitching a thing is lively and well spirited action, that is hath power to new mold the hearts of the spectators and fashion them to the shape of any noble and notable attempt. 

Arthur Murray: No Edmond, the theatre is an immoral industry! Draw your sword, we’re taking this outside.

Edmond Theakston: Now now Athur, stop this tomfoolery!! You sound straight out of one of those Shakespeare plays! 

Arthur Murray: Don’t align me with that pagan devil worshipper. I thought better of you. 

[Arthur draws sword]

Edmond Theakston: Woah! Lets just have another tankard and calm down. 

[Arthur replaces sword to its sheef]

Arthur Murray: I may have got a little ahead of myself but this theatre business just really grinds my cogs. 

Edmond Theakston: I understand you’re a Godly man but the Bible provides no clear orders against the theatre and were content to pass over them, as things tolerated and indifferent. 

Arthur Murray: You have a point there Eddy, but I’m not utterly convinced viewing a play is right for me, I would be more than content to read one of these Shakespeare plays you so highly commend, but to see it acted out in the flesh would overstep the mark. 

Edmond Theakston: One step at a time Arthur. Why don’t you read some first and then maybe we can try attending a play when you’ve gotten over this silly fear. 

[They hug and head out of the tavern]

One thought on “ARTHUR AND EDMOND: WILL THE THEATRE BREAK THEIR BOND?”

1. Aaah, I’m so glad they made up at the end! You’ve woven in lots of good points here, and I like that you’ve included direct quotations, but put them in context for a modern reader. Thinking about the final point, that reading a play is a lesser ‘evil’ than going to the theatre, I wonder if we can push this a bit further: what are Arthur’s reasons for avoiding a play in performance versus reading it? Is it because the theatre’s in a dodgy neighbourhood, and low-lifes frequent it (i.e. is it a class thing: At least Arthur can read)? Or is there something about the emotional power of performance, sensory overload, which you can control when you’ve got the distance between you and the play in a book?