UK Cosmology is committed to creating a scientific environment that is safe, professional and of mutual trust where diversity and inclusion are valued and where everyone is treated with courtesy and respect. It is through the diverse set of skills, personalities and experiences that our community experiences great successes and continued growth. The UK Cosmology Meeting organisers commit to making the meetings and associated social activities productive and enjoyable for everyone.
As members of the community,
• We pledge to treat all people with respect and provide a harassment- and bullying-free environment, regardless of sex, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, nationality, ethnicity and religion.
• We pledge to provide respectful criticisms and feedback in our meetings and to model behaviours that encourage productive discussion for better scientific outcomes, even when there is disagreement, while fully respecting individual differences and preferences.
• We pledge to welcome questions and answer them respectfully, paying particular attention to those new to the community. We realise that including people with a variety of opinions and backgrounds will only serve to enrich our scientific community.
• We pledge to help the entire community follow the code of conduct and to not remain silent when we see violations of it. We will take action when members of our community violate this code, such as contacting the UK cosmology chair, an organiser of the meetings or talking privately with the person.
• We pledge to respect each other’s privacy and entity to their image and intellectual property. If we wish to share photos, recorded talks or other media of a participant, we will always get the participant’s permission first.
If violations of this code of conduct are reported to the UK Cosmology organising team, they may take appropriate action, including warning the offender or expulsion of the offender from the event with no reimbursement.
Thank you for helping to make UK cosmology a welcoming and friendly community for everyone.
The code of conduct applies to organisers, speakers and participants of UK Cosmology meetings and other events.
This code of conduct is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) License.
Parts of this code of conduct incorporates language from the following codes of conduct:
- The Cosmology from Home code of conduct, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) License
- The European Southern Observatory conference code of conduct, licensed under a Creative Commons zero license for reuse.
- The Python Software Foundation code of conduct, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
- The Astro Hack Week 2017 code of conduct, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Astropy code of conduct, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.