Last week at PDC Microsoft announced that Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 will be the server variant of Windows 7.
Here at TechEd we are seeing demonstrations of some of W7/R2’s features. Here is a quick run through. More detail to follow.
- Live Migration
- Remote Desktop Services which will supersede Terminal Services.
- Bitlocker to go
- Direct access (a possible killer app for Server 2008 R2 and IPv6)
- SMB enhancements
- Offline file enhancements including a ‘Usually offline mode.’
- Wake on Wireless LAN.
- Improved power management and increased control via Group Policy.
- Group Policy scripting with Powershell.
- Programmatic interface in to performance and reliability systems.