This will hopefully be of help with for people using HP Proliant Servers who want quickly to patch their Firmware and Software to the very latest versions
ProLiant Support Packs (PSP) represent operating system (OS) specific bundles of ProLiant optimized drivers, utilities, and management agents. These bundles of software are tested together to ensure proper installation and functionality.
This means that the The Proliant support packs will not necessarily contain the latest versions, just a baseline tested combination and that the software\firmware in use could still be vulnerable or lack the updated functionality in later versions.
It’s possible (and painful) to install updates via the System Management Homepage but this requires lots of restarts and lots of waiting around. The easiest method is to use HPSUM (HP Smart Update Manager) which ships as part of the ProLiant Support Pack but has the ability to download the very latest Firmware and Patches from HP as part of the update process.
Here is how to do it:
1. Extract the ProLiant Support Pack
2. Locate and run setup.exe. This will start the Windows GUI (there is also a command
line version setupc.exe for Windows Server Core)
3. Select the Check ftp.hp.com option and set ‘Type of updates to use’ to ‘Both’.
4. Select ‘Start Inventory’
5. If asked for permission to download from HP.com select yes.
6. At the next screen select Local Host > Next
7. At the next screen it is important to select the currently installed ProLiant Support Pack and ‘ALLOW NON-BUNDLE PRODUCTS’ and ‘ALLOW NON-BUNDLE VERSIONS’. If these options are not checked components will not be update above the level of the currently installed Support Pack.
8. At the next screen you will see all of the very latest updates available. Select the ones you want and hit install. Restarts are optional but some components swill not update until after the next restart.