Writings and Speakings

I am very lucky to be part of the 2023 cohort of the AHRC-BBC New Generation Thinkers programme – if you’d like to know more about the process and my tips on applying, check back soon for a blogpost, and take a look at the 2024 call in the meantime. I have also been interviewed on Voice of Islam DAB radio and on the fabulous The Good Robot podcast. Links to my programmes can be found below.

I have also written pieces of a range of different lay audiences in print media (EMC magazine, Babel magazine) and online (The Conversation). Head to my Writings link to read more.

Speakings

The Good Robot podcast on Large Language Models and child language acquisition (released 9th Jan 2024, interviewed by Dr Kerry McInerney and Dr Eleanor Drage)

Free Thinking on BBC Radio 3, Childhood and Play (aired 11th July 2023, presented by Anne McElvoy and also featuring Dr Yinka Olusoga, Prof. Joe Moshenska and Dr Helen Charman)

Free Thinking on BBC Radio 3, 2023 New Generation Thinkers (aired 4th April 2023, presented by Dr Chris Harding)

Voice of Islam DAB Radio discussion on the evolution of language in humans (aired 29th December 2022)

Writings

‘Like’ isn’t a lazy linguistic filler – the English language snobs need to, like, pipe down. The Conversation, 19th August 2019

Lives in Language: Ferdinand de Saussure. Babel magazine No. 7, May 2014