Steph Edusei 

Click the image below to watch the full interview.

Steph started her health career in Newcastle hospitals, where she now has a non-executive role, guiding and advising the trust whilst in her role as the CEO of St Oswald’s Hospice. She grew up in Newcastle with her Geordie mother and Ghanaian father and has always loved living in the area. Her experiences have not been without adversity, but her bond to Newcastle is unwaveringly strong. I talked with Steph about her work, childhood, and the intersections of her identity.  

‘I felt really a little bit at sea and disconnected from the place where I was, but a really proud Geordie as well’ -Steph Edusei  

Growing up, Steph had strong influences from both her Geordie and Ghanaian heritages but saw almost no mixed-race adults and found it difficult to fully connect with her identity.  She and her siblings felt the ‘othering’ that came with the racism they experienced, which, to Steph, was  a more subtle and systemic racism that is built into society. Since Brexit this has become more explicit, she feels. This othering also came in the form of white people telling her they didn’t see her as black, but of course, that is a part of who she is and an important part of the identity she is so proud of.  

‘I am black and there’s nothing wrong with being black, it’s not a negative thing’ -Steph Edusei  

Although she did not visit Ghana as a child, Steph still connected to her Ashanti Ghanaian roots through her family. She feels that the elements of both parts of her cultural identity are very similar when it comes to community and family. This upbringing and the challenges she has experienced have helped to shape Steph’s outlook of ensuring everyone in her workplace is advocated for and protected. She wants her colleagues to be hired because they are right for the job, and that they feel welcome and to not experience any of the discrimination she faced.  

‘I say to people, “I come from a land that has its own language, its own music, its own food, and I’m also an Ashanti”… being a Geordie is everything really’ -Steph Edusei  

Steph is now a well-known figure in Newcastle for the work she does for the community, particularly at the Hospice. She is thankful for her job, her quality of life and loves the people, history and culture of the city which she calls home. She told me that the day before her interview someone had said to her that they loved her authenticity, which, having spent some time with Steph, I couldn’t with agree more. It was a pleasure and a privilege to interview Steph, an inspiring woman with an amazing story to tell. On behalf of NUREN and the regional community she supports, I would like to thank Steph for all the work she does. 

‘If it’s important for one person, then we should do something about it’ -Steph Edusei  

By Taz Nasif-Whitestone