Feedback on an Open Research Comic

Kelsey Bezaire (PGR in Animal Sciences) is developing an Open Research comic with support from the University’s Enhancing Research Culture Project Fund.

Kelsey has drafted the first page of the comic below and would love some feedback. Specifically, what topics would you like to see covered and how is the readability? Any other feedback is welcome too, so please post your thoughts in the comments or contact Kelsey directly.

OR Owl Introduction #1 

PAGE ONE 

Panel 1: DAY. Over the shoulder mid shot in the breakroom. Tina waves and called for Illya to join them for lunch, half shot of Illya with hot lunch.  

1. TINA:	Illya! Come join us for lunch. 

Panel 2: Wide bird eye/high angle shot with background details to show it’s a lunch break room and show where Miguel, Tina, Remi and Illya are. Illya is grabbing a seat, Remi is leaning over a chair, and Miguel (far) is sitting on the sofa by Tina (near). Box of free stuff is by Miguel.  

2. MIGUEL: How did the meeting go? 

3. ILLYA:	It went well. We have a draft of the paper but I need to figure out how some of the publishing works. 

4. TINA: Anything we can help with? 

5. Illya: Maybe.  

Panel 3: Eye level profile shot of Illya and Remi. Remi looks keen and Illya is quizzical. 

7. ILLYA:	My supervisor was saying we need to make our paper open access. I know nothing about any of this so I just took a lot of notes so I can look it up this afternoon. 

Panel 4: Same as panel 3 but Remi is gesturing towards Illya and Illya looks uncertain. 

9. REMI:	I know someone experienced with open access publication. I can see if she’s free and she can explain it. 

10. ILLYA:	Oh! That would be great. Thanks. 

11. REMI CAPTION:	I’ll be right back! 

Panel 6: Wide over the shoulder from between Miguel and Tina. Showing Illya (with nearly finished lunch) and Remi with something perched on his arm silhouetted by the doorway. Chris (new character) is standing. 

9. CAPTION:	Later… 

11. REMI:	Hello! 

Panel 7: Cut out eye level portrait of Ada with left wing partially extended as if in wave. 

9. ADA: Hi everyone, I’m Ada, the Open Research Owl. What would you like to know?

Find out more about how we are supporting open research and open access.

Published by

Steve

I provide support for Open Research at Newcastle University as part of the Library Research Services team. I've previously worked in open access, staff development and as a researcher in molecular virology.