‘Buchanan’s Scotch Whiskies’ advertisement from Illustrated London News, 1913
Page from Illustrated London News, Vol. 143, 1913 (030 ILL), dated 20th December 1913
Illustrated London News contained lots of advertisements. This page is advertising scotch whisky and states that it is ‘suitable for Christmas Presents’ and uses an image of Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Present, from Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.
Illustrated London News was the world’s first illustrated weekly news magazine. It was founded by Herbert Ingram. Its inaugural issue appeared in 1842. The magazine was published weekly until 1971 and then less frequently after that. The company continues today as Illustrated London News Ltd., a publishing and digital agency in London, England.
TheQuartier Latin was produced by Americans residing in the Latin Quarter of Paris, on the Left Bank of the River Seine in the late Nineteenth Century and sold in France, America and Britain. It is now quite a scarce periodical and represents an important period in the history of American art.
Issues typically contain full-page illustrations and Art Nouveau advertisements by such contributors as Ernest Haskell (1876-1925) who had studied under James McNeill Whistler and who specialised in etchings and watercolour posters; William Merritt Chase (1849-1916) who championed Impressionism; F. Luis Mora (1874-1940) who specialised in scenes of American and Spanish life and Henry O. Tanner (1859-1937) who was an African-American known for his portraits and depictions of religious subjects. The periodical also carried poetry and prose.
At the time, France was considered to be the focal point of the world’s artistic community – a locus for artistic training and output. Americans flocked to Paris to study in the academies and to stage exhibitions in the salons.
The March 1898 issue, the cover of which is shown here, includes an advertisement designed by H.G. Fangel for Glendenning’s Beef and Malt Wine, a sample bottle of which was available from Glendenning & Son, Grainger Street, Newcastle.