Categories
2005 Abstracts Stage 2

Travel, Emigration and the Integration of Societies

Jamie Robinson, 2005, Stage 2

Questions I will be asking 1. Why do people travel and emigrate? 2. How has travel had an affect on cultures? 3. How has the world changed through the rise of the business? 4. How has society integration benefited and impeded cultures and communities. Aims In this project I aim to explore a number of different ideas involving travel. I will be trying to explore the way in which travel has had an impact on modern societies whether it be through modern mass travel, economic needs or personal exploration. I will be examining the positive and negative aspects of travel on a social level, philosophical level and ethical level. The environmental problems have become major ethical concerns today. I will also be examining what motivates us to travel. In particular I will want to explore the influence that the west has had on Asia especially Japan and see what effect it has changed cultures. The major idea I want to explore is what can other cultures teach us about the world. I will be exploring these ideas in relation to Hegel’s Philosophy of History and Lyotard’s Postmodern Condition. Sources • Georg Hegel- The Philosophy of History • Jean-François Lyotard- The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge • Shlomo Avineri- Hegel’s Theory of the Modern State • J. Christopher Holloway- The Business of Tourism • Bella Dicks- Culture on Display.