15 Replies to “Even Lead Educators fall!”

1. I wish there was a Transcript for this & the other Blogs etc.
    Can’t hear them well enough to listen to videos & find the written word aids understanding & easy referral.

2. We have all had those ‘if only’ moments. We feel embarrassed if people offer to help, but it is worse if NO ONE offers to help, as happened to one of my friends recently, when she fell in the local high street. She had to crawl to a shop to get help. People just walked past her as she lay on the pavement.

3. I am 78 years old and am quite fit for my age.
    I have had a few falls over the years and they have all been caused by rushing because I was late, or not concentrating on what I was doing at the time.
    I am now aware that as we age the consequences of a fall is greater.
    We are more likely to sustain a serious injury.
    So far I have been lucky but I am aware just how quickly my life could change.
    This is the reason I decided to join this course and learn how I may be able to prevent a serious fall

1. I can so relate to the cause of your falls, Lynda. Mine in the last 5 years (I am 74 now) have been due to my carelessness. This course is certainly focussing my attention on prevention. I’ve not broken any part of my body at all, and hope that continues.

4. I am retired now but during my working life (over 40 years) I constantly wore high heels, 2-3 inches in height, sometimes higher at night. Even when I shopped all day, I still wore high heels. I never had a fall in all of that time. My first fall was where I tripped (hurrying at the time to make a train) over grass on a pathway breaking my upper arm bone. I was wearing flat shoes! It seems odd that all of my consequent bone breakages (5 in all) have been wearing flat shoes or thongs (or flip flops as some may call them).
    My query is…had I conditioned my body and posture to accept only high heeled shoes in all that time? Wearing flat shoes seems hazardous to me.

1. Yes we would avoid making a sudden change to footwear. So if you’ve worn high heels all your life, all we would recommend is choosing ones which offer a bit more support and grip and maybe a touch less high.

5. High heels, even models on the catwalk can fall over (and have their picture taken when on the deck). I hope you were not too hurt Julia and James.

6. Thank you for your extra blogs
    First week was very helpful.
    It’s good to know that other people fall too!
    Losing my confidence was the greatest effect
    of my falls.
    I look forward to the second week.
    Anna.

7. How very reassuring to hear that quite youthful people do lose confidence after a fall, Julia’s comments re heeled shoes resonates particularly with me as, although much older than Julia or James, it is a matter of pride not to give up on heels: to do so would be a final goodbye to youth! However, even after just one week of the course,I’m taking serious note of advice/guidance set out and am beginning to feel much more able and a little more confident in my ability to avoid tripping and falling.

8. Learning from other people’s experience of falls – thank you for a sincere approach to this learning experience. Have we not all been guilty of rushing around and in the process have not always been as careful as we should have been?

9. Thanks for both video clips. They make you human and in touch with others’ problems re falling. Good advice about the shoes and I must admit I’ve all but given up high heels.

Rushing around is a non- starter now. I try to do one thing at a time and treat each thing like a meditation. My hazardous area is the garden .

10. It reinforces the fact that not only old people fall, and also how quick and unexpected it may happen, whatever age one is. Also the loss of confidence applies to all age groups, but younger people may recover quicker. I guess it is a universal problem.