As part of Newcastle University’s Research Strategy, we are evolving our research culture in collaboration with the whole research community. We invite the research community across career stages, job families, and disciplines, to join this first Skills Academy Research Culture workshop: Towards Open Research.
The workshop will invite participants to consider open research practices and reflect on how they and the university can move towards a culture of more open research. In this workshop, we will consider open research principles and practices that increase transparency and rigour and accelerate the reach of our research.
Open research describes approaches to increase openness throughout the research cycle, including collaborative working, sharing and making research methodology, software, code, data, documentation and publications freely available online under terms that enable their reuse. Open research thereby increases the transparency, rigour and reproducibility of the research process and so can promote inclusivity, accelerate impact and improve public trust. However, understanding and adopting open research practices can be challenging. This workshop therefore will explore strategies for culture change here at Newcastle University.
- Introduction to open research
- Researcher perspectives on open research:
- Comfort break
- Breakout groups
To discuss how the university can move towards a culture of open research by considering core aspects of the Center for Open Science strategy for culture change
- Systems and tools – what systems and research tools are needed to facilitate open sharing and documentation
- Support and training – what research support and training researchers require to undertake open research activities
- Recognition and rewards – how open research behaviours can be encouraged, recognised and rewarded
- Policy – the role policy changes and interventions that require change to occur in open research practices at Newcastle
4. Reflections and next steps
*** This event is now fully booked. Please email RDM@ncl.ac.uk should you wish to discuss future Open Research events. ***