Places to Visit in Newcastle (Part 1)

Are you visiting Newcastle for the first time? This blog post is for you if that’s the case. I’ll recommend a few locations to visit in Newcastle while you’re here. Even if you aren’t, you should read this in case you forget or don’t recognise these areas. 

Newcastle is one of England’s most popular cities, known for its heritage, nightlife, and much more. That is why I am separating this series into two parts because I will be recommending a lot of places for you. Now, without further ado, let’s get started! 

1. Grey’s Monument

This monument must be familiar to everyone in Newcastle. Grey’s Monument is one of the renowned monuments created in the 1800s and is located in the heart of Newcastle Upon Tyne. It was built to honour Earl Grey for his role in the passage of the Great Reform Act in 1832. 

The man on the top of the monument is Earl Grey. The picture was taken by me

The area is bordered by a variety of shops, pubs, and restaurants, all of which is always bustling with people.  You should come by and take some photos of the location! Don’t forget to try the pubs in the area too! 

2. Central Arcade

The Central Arcade, which is located directly in front of Grey’s Monument, is also one of the city’s must-see tourist attractions. It was constructed in 1906, and the interior had been restored several times due to fires. 

Now you know why I was amazed by this structure, just looking at the pic. The picture was taken by me

When you enter the arcade, you will notice the stunning glass barrel-vaulted roof, gorgeous mosaic flooring, and stained glass (you will be amazed by the interior design as I did when I went there for the first time, it is absolutely gorgeous). There are also several stores inside the arcade where you may go shopping, as well as a well-known music store that has been there for a long time. Grey St., Market St., and Grainger St. are the three entrances to the building. 

3. Grainger Market

Let’s continue our shopping at the famous indoor market in Newcastle! 

After exiting the Central Arcade and walking down Grainger St., you will come upon a well-known and historically significant market that is still in operation today. This historical indoor market has been open to the public since the 1800s.  

I love the interior design of this market. The picture was taken by me

Grainger Market is home to hundreds of local vendors and small businesses, such as florists, jewelers, cobblers, as well as bakeries, butchers, and so much more. Fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry, and seafood, as well as fresh-baked pizzas and the various independent cafes popular with local foodies, are available to customers. Inside the market, you’ll discover artisan stores, pet stores, and souvenir shops like Geordie Gifts. (There are too many things in there, that’s why you should check it by yourself hahaha, but I really suggest you try their fresh-baked pizzas, they are amazing!) 

4. Newcastle Castle

(Just look at how magnificent this castle is. The picture was taken by me) 

Do you want to see more of Newcastle’s historical buildings? I have another suggestion for you. This castle is situated near the river Tyne and is a part of Newcastle’s history. It was built for defense purposes during Roman times in the 1100s. However, it was used as dungeons in later years. If you want to have a tour inside the castle and listen to more about the castle’s history, you can book your ticket here. (https://www.newcastlecastle.co.uk/tickets-booking). 

5. BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art 

Definitely, a place for me who enjoys arts. The picture was taken by me

This is the place to be if you’re a fan of the arts. Baltic, which was established in 2002, is one of Newcastle’s largest galleries. It was also close to the Tyne River. There are stores, a library, and a café/restaurant in addition to the gallery that you can explore once you’ve visited it. It is open from Wednesday to Sunday, 10 AM to 6 PM and the greatest thing is that admission is free. However, you can donate money to support them. See what they have here (https://baltic.art/whats-on/planvisit). 

Fun fact, there was a spectacular light show during the new year 2022 which people can watch from the Millennium Bridge in front of the Baltic.  

Don’t worry, folks, this isn’t the end of it; there are still several more locations I’d like to recommend to you. Therefore, we will continue to the next part of the places to visit in the Newcastle series, see you guys in the next part, cheers!  

Check out our university website!