To go alongside the summer 2015 run of our Hadrian’s Wall course we held a panel discussion on the theme of “Why do we employ Visualisations“. Dr Rob Collins chaired the session and posed questions from learners on the course to our lead Educator, Professor Ian Haynes, and to Bill Griffiths, Head of Programmes at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums.
Here is a list of questions asked – the links jump to Ian and Bill’s responses.
- How can we be sure that visualisations are historically accurate?
- Is it too expensive to involve experts in visualisations?
- How do your make sure that visualisation isn’t just an excuse to play dress up?
- How do you decide whether to reconstruct buildings or leave them as remains?
- How do you choose which period will be visualised?
- Do you envisage 3D visualisations getting to the stage where you can walk through the experience?