After positive feedback from a trial in 2018 we are delighted to announce we now have access to this database.
This platform is based on Birkhäuser’s architecture books, a selection of Birkhäuser manuals and additional analysis Annual updates which add new building types and more contemporary international case studies.
This resources features :
- Over 6000 high quality architectural drawings/ building plans. These are mostly vector-based, drawn to scale and available for download.
- 2500 photos of building types
- 1200 case studies
- Over 900 international projects
- 160 thematic articles providing background information on specific aspects of individual building types e.g. lighting, acoustics, urban considerations, access types or planning processes.
- Types of buildings include: housing, schools, libraries, office buildings, sacred buildings, hospitals, museums, industrial complexes, infrastructure, transport and other building types.
This makes it an excellent choice for both teaching, research and understanding the practice of architectural design.
Search options include :
- Full Text
- Building Types
- Urban Context
You can also browse by grant systematic access to all content according to Building Type, Urban Context and Morphological Type.
This is an important resource for anyone studying building typology or writing architectural design assignments. In nutshell a fantastic online resource covering building types in the last 30 years.
The Search Help document from the resources explains the database’s functions in detail. An overview of the terminology used in the building analysis and the Search and Browse options is available as well.
To access the database, click on the link via Library Search.