Resources are available to help staff prepare for the semester 2 assessment period, including:
- Information about setting take home exams using Canvas, including an updated cover sheet for take home exams.
- Assessment guidance for students is available, including how to submit an assignment and advice about accepted file types and file size that will help answer student queries. This page can be shared with students as part of assessment instructions.
Assignment set up
- Guidance is available on whether to use a Canvas Assignment or a Turnitin Assignment.
- It is important that module teams agree which assignment type to use before it is set up in Canvas, and that marking is done in the correct tool. SpeedGrader (link to Canvas Orientation course) must be used for a Canvas Assignment, Turnitin Feedback Studio (link to screencast) must for a Turnitin Assignment.
- When an assignment is created, the maximum number of marks available (for example 100) must be entered in the Points field. The points should never be set as zero, as this causes technical issues.
Marking and moderation
- Delegated marking can be managed using Sections for a Canvas Assignment to assign submissions to markers. This option is not available for a Turnitin Assignment, but there are work arounds to delegate marking for a Turnitin assignment.
- Guidance on using Canvas for moderation of assignments is now available. Note that blind double marking can be managed using a Canvas Assignment, this must be set up before marking is started.
- It is possible for Professional Service staff to temporarily switch off anonymous marking for administrative purposes.
- It’s now possible to import marks from Canvas into NESS.
- Guidance on avoiding common issues with digital assessment tools
- Digital learning guides on all centrally supported technology enhanced learning tools.
- If you would like training, webinars on digital assessment tools are available to book. On the same page you’ll also find digests on topics including Marking with Turnitin and Effective Rubrics for digital assessment.
- For help with Canvas queries contact Canvas Support by clicking the Help icon at the bottom of the Global Navigation Menu in Canvas.
- For help with Turnitin and other technology enhanced learning tools contact IT.ServiceDesk@newcastle.ac.uk.
- You can also speak to an LTDS colleague by attending one of our regular online drop in sessions.